Driving license

Anyone who wants to drive a vehicle must have a driving license. To achieve this, drivers of cars, motorcycle and moped riders have to pass a driving theory test and a driving test.

The permitted driving age in the UK is:

• Car (Category B) - from 17 years.

• Motorcycle (Category A) - from 17 years.

• Moped (Category P) - from 16 years.

You cannot take a theory test and a driving test unless you are a resident of (live in) the UK. This means that you must either work (and pay tax) or have close family in the UK. However, if you have moved to the UK from another European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country and have lived in the UK for at least 185 days in the last 12 months and are still living in the UK, you can apply for a provisional license. Be aware that you will be asked to provide evidence of the fact that you have been living in the UK.

After receiving your provisional license, you can apply for a theory test and having passed it, you can apply for a driving test. Once you have passed your theory test and driving test, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency will need to be informed. You must apply to exchange the test pass certificate within two years of passing your test. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency should send your driving license to you within three weeks of receiving your application.

UKTheoryTest.co.uk offers you a wealth of information and tips to help you pass your driving license tests and to obtain your driving license as cheaply and as quickly as possible. Information is provided for car (Category B), motorcycle (Category A) and moped (Category P) learners.

22 Oct 2012